Friday, May 18, 2007


Durban - Place to be 2 weekends in a row...


As Butch James windmill dummied his way over the line to score the try which essentially put the Sharks into the Super 14 final I sat in my seat with a giant hard on. I knew that it meant two fantastic weekends in a row for Durban. Now the semi (-final, not my hard on) weekend was good enough but my God this coming weekend is going to be a thriller. Potential cracker of a rugby game aside, if the festivities of the Saturday just passed are anything to go by, we are in for a jolly old time.

I was so happy on Saturday that much of it is a blur. I left my car at the stadium (private parking just outside the changerooms thanks to my old man's Natal rugby rockstar status) for the night and next thing Dougie Howlett and I were going off to Mr Brightside. I can't imagine it being as much fun with Gary Botha or one of the other boneheads we will be hosting this weekend.

Another highlight was Joe Cool's (yes it is now spelt with a "C") bouncers vs Blues pack. There was a little bit of niggle and the bouncers decided that its was time for Troy Flavell (the captain of the Blues for the odd female reader) to go. Things got a little physical and the Blues knuckled down, forming a rolling maul and shoving back inside. The bouncers subsequently decided that they were fighting a losing battle and decided to allow the boys from Auckland to stay.
Off to the South Coast Party Palace on Friday for a warm up and then its match day. Not only am I backing the Sharks but I'm also backing the Joe's bouncers later in the evening.

No comments: