Friday, May 04, 2007


Around the World in (an as yet undetermined number of) Days ...

I landed in Biarritz expecting to find sunshine, sex and sandy beaches. I got beaches. To be fair as I exited the plane I did have one young lass invite me out for a drink at the aptly named "Pub" that evening. Granted she was a sprightly 80 years old and the aforementioned "Pub" belonged to her grandson, but hey, you gotta take what you can get.

Sporting what can only be described as "man-fur"


After exploring all Biarritz had to offer (20mins) I retired to my luxury accomodation (read youth hostel) for a well earned meal and some rest. Rising the following morning to catch my train to Bayonne and the onwards to the border town of St Jean Pied-de-Port, I noticed I had quite possibly, ever so slightly, overslept. As the chronically unemployed will tell you - it does no good to stress oneself - and as such I took a leisurely breakfast before heading to the station.

To my amusement; I had just missed the first and last train, but luckily another one arrived at 10:55AM, 2015AD. Wisely figuring I would be just about hitting a mid-life crisis by the time the locomotive arrived I hopped on the next horse and carriage.

I have been asked why I would choose to walk from one side of the earth to the other - I think the reasons are far better summed up by one better than I (and by that I mean he had access to an English layout keyboard) :

"The conquest of the earth ... is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much."

- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

No comments: