Monday, October 08, 2007


The Aftermath...


Being an assimilated All Black supporter through choice made Saturday night very possibly the worst night of my life. The feelings that horror loss invoked cannot be matched by quite anything I have experienced before. It felt like I had just broken off a 4 year engagement with the girl I was meant to marry...


What scares me the most is that I have no connection to the All Blacks beyond being one full and loyal supporter. The All Blacks didn't choose me, I chose them and then they kept me there. The practical implication of my heartfelt connection with the Men In Black is zero. They lose, my life goes on.

So here is the thing. Why then did the loss elicit a response in me that has never found parallel in anything else I have experienced. I have supported them since 1995 so aren't unaccustomed to bowing out of the Rugby World Cup but Saturday was terrible.

I started supporting them because to me they blend the perfect mix for rugby. They play attacking rugby without compromising abandon, they execute aggressive defense without losing their pattern, they play with flair without losing structure and structure without losing the individual, they assess a situation and react, and they play with spirit, pride and an unrivalled sportsmanship.


For me Richie McCaw was epic on Saturday and despite having to deal with a microphone before the ring of Wayne Barnes' final blast had ended. He could have questioned why the French weren't penalised once in the final 40 minutes despite numerous infringements, he could have asked how beyond his ground did McAlister go to deserve getting binned, he could have asked why a referee with only 2 years experience got to blow the most important quarter final, he could have asked where 'advantage' went from the ruck before the drop goal was taken, he could have asked how did 3 officials possibly miss that incredibly forward pass.

He could have moaned about not being allowed to play in their traditional strip, he could have moaned about how unlucky you have to be to have your half back pairing injured simultaneously and then lose your reserve flyhalf 6 minutes later. He could have moaned about playing 7th tier nations before playing a game of that level. He could have moaned that Spreadbury's mare in the opening game set up Saturday's match up.

Did anyone hear Richie McCaw or Graham Henry mentioned any one of these things? Sure the press and irate public have but not those two. They admitted France were the better side on the night and wholeheartedly deserved the win and even wished them best of luck.

"If you realise that the real problem is losing yourself, you realise that this itself is the real trial!" Joseph Campbell.

For those sporting fans out there that jump on the commentator and press bandwagon instead of forming your own opinion and feel the All Blacks choked go read the article by Marcus Leach on www.planet-rugby.com. Don't take the credit away from France. They deserved the win...

No comments: