Thursday, August 02, 2007

The World on a String: Part 2


A couple of points about travelling. And specifically what to do before you go.

The only way it seems that you'd actually be able to travel for any extended period is to sever all your connections with your past life. In fact, faking your own death might be a good option.

That's right, close your bank accounts, terminate your phone contracts, say goodbye to loved ones and hand in your resignation to the website you helped found. And make sure you switched off the gas in your apartment. The alternative (short of faking your death in a motorbike racing accident where you swerve to save a small animal/child) is far worse.

Take my position, for instance. Currently, I'm sitting in the sun, tapping away at the laptop overlooking the Mekong River. Not a bad life you might think. You'd be right, but only for a while. 5 days in and it gets a bit tedious. How so you ask?

Well, if you attended Mrs Thompson's Standard 7 Geography Class you'd have discovered two things. One, that she loved a Freudian slip. And two, that the Mekong River separates Thailand from Laos. This is me in Thailand. Not in Laos.

So cross the damn river I hear you say. Of course, why didn't I think of that I reply. Only. Only what?

Only, HSBC have cancelled my cards because someone (me) is drawing insubstantial amounts of money in South-East Asia. When I try phone them though, it appears 02 have suspended my mobile contract because someone (me again) has been making international phonecalls from South East Asia. Although this doesn't seem to stop them from charging me ludicrous amounts of money. Sitting here stranded without money, without a phone and with 1 x showstopper quickly heading towards the wrong side of the admin line I must admit, the rockstarish charm seemed to be wearing off.

Luckily though, the gentleman next me in the Panama hat has offered to make me a deal. Although I hear the words of a Rolling Stones song jangling in my ears, I ignore them and shake on it.


Mick. Knows what he's talking about.

No comments: