Tuesday, August 14, 2007


The Return of the Fez…


The day that the Fez closed its doors in Cape Town was a sad one indeed. It was a truly wonderful place. It got me through second and third year. Okay, that’s a lie. It nearly made me fail second and third year. Almost every Thursday for close on 2 years was spent there, I met 2 girlfriends there, stomached many a tequila slammer (these were pre jager bomb phenomenon days) and got to know friends who are still close to me.

All of this came rushing back when I discovered that there is a Fez in London. Following last weeks exploration of Tiger Tiger London, I thought it would be a good idea to continue our tour of some of South Africa’s finest institutions’ namesakes.

London’s Fez is actually very similar to our old favourite although as an added extra it has a dancefloor that lights up a la Pulp Fiction, providing some lesser minded individuals with hours of entertainment. One thing I was disappointed in was the quality of the ladies. I am beginning to realize that we take Cape Town for granted. That is until, very late in the night, I glanced across the dancefloor and was blinded by the light emanating from a giant halo. The angel who possessed it was top notch. Tall, slender, blonde, little dress, boots. Stop it. I drank it all in and thought to myself how much she resembled Megan Mackenzie and how much the dude next to her resembled Neil Mackenzie. Yes, it was indeed South Africa’s golden siblings. The Fez never disappoints…

Saturday night saw us venturing to regular Kate Moss and Sienna “my future wife” Miller haunt China White. A connection meant guest list, free drinks and a table in a back room which we ended up sharing with Lawrence Dallaglio. I decided not to bring up the days match against France. Got to love those frogs. At a pub earlier in the day our waiter’s response to the query as to whether he was French was “Of course I am French. Can’t you tell from my fucking accent?” Bad day at the office pal?

So all in all a pretty star studded weekend. Some might say that’s just how we roll…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention that you cut shapes with some of cape towns biggest names there!!!!

i'll send you the pics and you'll know what im talking about!

keep up the good work bro!
U CHA CHA!