Monday, November 12, 2007

No it's not...

I sometimes fail miserably to understand the influences felt by the mercurial concept of our social dynamic. Some guy sports a Trucker to the beach, next week everyone has a trucker. Some guy rips Gym Class Heroes off the the interweb, and then everyone is humming 'take your 'clothes off''. Some dude says 'no sure', everyone says no sure!

It is how things happen. This where it loses me.!Now as nice as trucker caps fit, and as sick as Travis McCroys' lyrics are and as versatile as 'no sure' is, I am not blown away by their popularity. No sure. However, what I don't grasp is how idiosyncratic social nuances filter from one typecast genre into one totally different.

Blatantly disregarding an argument for cross culture interaction and growth can someone please explain why preppy previously advantaged white kids flail around all English parts of the the country with the departing words, '...that's how I roll!'




No sure.

Flummoxed as to the true meaning and how its usage permeated into the vernacular of a Polo shirt wearing collar-up touting tanned white 20 something I resorted to the interweb to do some research.




From the erudite rap lyrics of Chamillionaire we have:

"They see me rollin';They hatin'.Patrollin'And tryin. to catch me ridin. dirty."


No sure. Not satisfied I hit the hardcore streets of interweb inner city to search it on urbandictionary dot com: I got 4 definitions -


1. What someone would say to insinuate that it was their style, or that it was the way they usually do things.
"Yo man so did you already hit it or what?Yeah, you know that's how I roll."


2. That is how I like to do things.
"I know I'm always wearing a bathrobe but that's how I roll."


3. That's how I do it.... or that's the way that I do it.
"*uck some labor...I take my ride through the wash, that's how I roll."


4. A response used when someone compliments your things.
"Bridget: Wow, Jackie! That is a nice plasma tv!

Jackie: That's how I roll!

For me the final installment in definitions perfectly encapsulates this creep of black American gangsta rap euphemisms into the mouths of people that are as closely associated to a gangster lifestyle as the new range of PUMA summer wrist cuffs are to last seasons D&G wrap-around aviators. Jackie and Bridget are hardly the names of people that should be quipping the phrase but I suppose they heard their cool older brothers Bradly and Michael say it first.



You're white Drama, give it up. The closest you've been to America was your High School soccer tour to Canada and the only West Coast you know is when your dad took you for crayfish at the Strandloper.


You don't roll dude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have bigger dig...