Monday, July 31, 2006

God bless Italia...

I have suddenly realised that we here at the Rockstar Journals had very little to say about the FIFA World Cup. In fact, we had nothing to say about it. Our apologies. We consider ourselves sports fans and up to date with world news so how did this occur. In truth, ordinarily I couldn't give a damn who won the world cup. Football is a game that is too long with too little scoring and it depends as much on the players acting abilities as on their actual sporting talent. When I see a poncy, long-haired "athlete" take a dive and proceed to writhe around on the floor as though his leg has been dislocated and then popped back into socket, crushing a stray testicle and causing him to scream so long and hard that he tears his vocal chords, I feel ashamed to be watching. I wish that upon you oh football loser so that you may know the feeling and then stop pretending. Despite this, I had taken a particular shining to the Italian side. They have a certain rockstarish vibe and appeal about them. Forza Azzuri.

But this is not the main reason I like Italy. I have had the good fortune of travelling to the country and it truly is an amazing place. The architecture, the people, the food... And Rome was the centre of one of the most powerful empires the world has ever known...R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

I recently got my first job (not including this one although you can hardly call being an idol to many a job) in four and a half years doing promotions for Peroni, SABMiller's new Italian beer. Peroni (girls) go(es) down smooth.


I am a convert. It is good. It is very good. I was also required to learn a few Italian words and phrases so I could walk around in a white suit, smiling charmingly and saying things like Ciao bella (hello beautiful) to the kind of girls who drink a 5.1% alcohol premium lager. Ie not supermodels and girls like my next and final reason for liking Italy....Ladies and gentlemen I give you Elisabetta Canalis...


Bellissimo

No comments: