Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Memoirs from the Trenches: Part I

At the time of graduation I was totally oblivious to how unlucky I was to earn the cap and the robe. Although the time was accompanied with much relief and a fuzzy feeling of achievement I had scant idea of what was to follow. It turns out graduating was the biggest white elephant I have ever pulled into a room - and has history will show I am not that big on pulling white elephants...golden hued angels yes, white elephants not really.


I have now realised - as it has been bashed into me relentlessly for the past 152 days - that with the accomplishment of graduation comes 10 hour working days, no holidays to speak of and the withdrawal of parental financial report like if communist sponsored South Africa granted the Dalai Lama a tourist visa a Confed tickets.

Here´s lookin´ at you oppression.

However, my spiraling into the trenches of the working world have been ameliorated somewhat by some humorous day to day incidents associated with working for the government. I give you Memoirs from the Trenches.

Part 1: Day 152.


The heat is surprisingly stifling in the room given that it is Cape Town in the middle of winter. The matter before me is one of a simple consultation between two feuding parties. Background will explain to you that sometimes I encounter situations where you have to try talk to people to resolve a pending dispute in the far-fetched hope that we can solve the problem before the next step.


Usually the disputes revolve around unfulfilled maintenance obligations, the damage to ones ________ (insert anything from microwave, car windscreen to favourite pot plant collection) or physical family disagreement. This one revolved curiously around the enforcement of a civil contract.

Aggrieved complainant!

Very simply the complainant was seeking action against the accused/defendant for not paying the full amount on the contractually agreed price for services rendered. Interesting conundrum this in these tough economic times but the enforcement of contractual obligations has always been the backbone of a thriving economy. The con part of the conundrum comes in when I add that contracts are not enforceable if they are contra bonis mores or against public policy or if they are illegal.

You try explain to a toothless 43year old divorced mother of 3 that the fact that the said contract defaulter agreed to pay her for sexual services actually means little in the face of the fact that prostitution is considered illegal. Interesting things going on in this trench..



No comments: